Monday 7 April 2008

Aubergines!


I don't know whether I made it clear, but I think aubergines are great. If you salt them at least 30 mins before using (do it in a colander, then you can rinse it off) it not only draws out the bitter juices but also makes the flesh stay firmer during cooking, making it a great meat substitute if you're into that sort of thing.

There are loads at our local market at the moment; I think they're just beautiful to look at!

Any aubergine recipes will be gratefully received (I don't have many) and I'll post them if that's ok. Best one gets entered for the annual greenlaces award thingy.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Baba Ghanough:
Chargill aurbergine directly over gas hob.
Wrap in foil and bake for 30 mins at 190 degrees, then leave to cool for 10 mins.
Cut open and scrape out the flesh.
Mash some garlic into a paste with sea salt, then mix with tahini, olive oil and lemon juice. Add the aubergine and mash together with a fork.

Eleanor said...

You brave man! They do something like this in Romania (minus the tahini, and sometimes adding charred grilled peppers also without their skins)and it is deeeelicious. I now have a gas hob and just assumed it would be a fire hazard to try it. You've inspired me!