Monday 21 April 2008

No more rice porridge - hooray!

Follow my instructions for perfect basmati rice every time.

For best results use a non-stick pan. Failing that, heat a little oil in your pan prior to putting the rice in and spread it all over the bottom.

Now rince your basmati rice in a sieve.

Add it to the pan with 1 1/2 times (that's right - not twice!) the amount of water. Keep a lid on it for the rest of the cooking process.

Keep the heat on high, and the moment it starts to boil (not just simmer, but boil properly) turn it right down to low. Now you can just leave it without any attention until all (all, mind) the water has been absorbed. Best to leave it too long rather than too little, and as your heat is on low you don't need to worry about it burning.

Fuss free, perfect rice.

4 comments:

Emma said...

Do you find this also works on electric hobs? My experience is that once you've had the heat high no matter what you set the dial to the plate doesn't cool nearly quick enough.

Eleanor said...

When I was in my last place which had an electric hob, this worked a treat...

Eleanor said...

When I was in my last place which had an electric hob, this worked a treat...

Anonymous said...

This method NEVER works for me. I go with the 'boil rapidly in loads of water until just tender then rinse with boiling water in the colander' technique which I find never fails for me.

Nick does do rice your way and it is usually very nice too, but quite different to mine.

I sense a scientific experiment coming on...