Tuesday 26 February 2008

Easy and virtually free patchwork quilt – Part 4

Read part 1
Read part 2
Read part 3

As I mentioned previously I am making this quilt at the same time as photographing and writing about it. It's the crafting equivalent of Jack Bauer and 24; it’s happening in real time, as it were. Not quite so many terrorists involved though. I’m telling you this so you realise that I’ve not forgotten the rest of the instructions. I haven’t – I just haven’t completed the next step yet!

The result of my lax attitude is that this is not really an official 'part' - I just wanted to show you my finished quilt top:


I’ve sewn together all the blocks as described in part 3, and pressed it all nice and flat. It will seem to shrink slightly as you sew because you are losing fabric in the seams. The more seams you have the more it will shrink in overall size.

When you are pressing the quilt top don’t be afraid to use the steam iron to your advantage. If it is a bit puffy in places keep pressing and gently pulling until it’s flat. If after intensive ironing it’s still not totally flat don’t worry, the quilting process will help to disguise the problem.


So far this quilt has been free and fully recycled. The next instalment will require a small financial outlay, so get saving those pennies. Back soon.


I’m really pleased to report that I’ve had an email from Jenny who has decided to try this project and make her first patchwork quilt. If anyone else is planning to give it a try, please let me know! It gives me incentive to carry on writing. Jenny said she went to a curtain fabric shop to ask for a sample book and they gave her 4 enormous folders full of fabric. There is nothing like the thrill of getting something for nothing!

2 comments:

Eleanor said...

Well done Jenny!!

Fi said...

Hi, I'm not making it right now but Im' being a voyeur, with intentions on making one soon. I am learning from you, put it that way, so please do keep writing about it. Thanks!
Fiona, in Aberdeen