Thursday 21 February 2008

Mother's Tip No.2

This next tip from Mother is on a topic very close to her heart, in both the metaphorical and literal sense...

Invest In a Vest

Invest in a vest and turn down your home heating by at least one degree. I know you may be thinking that vests aren't the sexiest garments ever but there are some nice little numbers in black silk or jewel colours and even some thermal ones can look quite alluring . They really do keep you warmer too by trapping a layer of air next to your skin.

Think of the effect we would have on the planet, not to mention our heating bills if we dressed a little warmer in winter, particularly when indoors.


Sexy Vest. (Apparently this is a thermal one. It looks like it's trapping more than a layer of air. Ouch)














Not so sexy Vest













Really quite unsexy vests, but boy do they look toasty warm!





Hmm, despite being my mother’s daughter in many ways, I don’t have any vests. This is actually ridiculous – my house is freezing, and I would definitely benefit from this unloved article. My personal variation on this is ‘carry a cardigan’. I have a cardy in the hall that I don the minute I walk into the house. It is usually warmer in my car than in my house so extra layers are essential!

5 comments:

Chris said...

If you want to see a *really* unsexy vest, I'll post a picture of me in my thermal vest, long johns, socks and slippers.
It is difficult to put into words how much Liv hates them, but they keep me nice in warm when the temperature drops.

Chris said...

(BTW - every time I think of me in my thermals, like now, I get the Steptoe and Son music running through my head, unprompted. Hmmmm, maybe Liv's right!)

Nick said...

chris,
please don't post such a picture. imagination is bad enough.

Anonymous said...

Please don't exert your imagination too much on this one, Nick, but for the LAYDEES with LARGER BAZOOMS I highly recommend the Bravissimo vests with built-in bras. Proper bras too, not just the "secret support" nonsense. They look FABULOUS and don't have huge scaffolding-style straps.

I have lots of vests for work, because I don't like accidental cleavage. The downside of this is that all the offices are grossly overheated and the vests are somewhat too effective so I spend most of the day with a rosy face. Bleurgh.

Anonymous said...

Vests rule - I always wear one!!