Saturday 9 February 2008

Mother's Tip no.1

With age comes wisdom. Who do we know is both old and wise? Mother!

We have invited our Mother to impart some of her pearls of wisdom. Here is her first effort:

Rediscovering The Library.

If you haven't been in a library since school or college , or since your mother took you to Storytime on a tuesday afternoon, can I urge you to walk through the door and register for a library ticket.

They are changed places.

Firstly they are noisy and bustling and all the lending rules and renewal systems have improved beyond measure. If, like us, you have no more room on your book shelves, it has got to be the answer. Also, all that recycling and rereading of books must be better that buying new cheap paperbacks every time we need something to read. Think of all the trees we could save.

Here in North Lincolnshire, I can take out 6 books at any one time. They can be renewed online and can be returned to any library within the county. I can request books online too and an e-mail will tell me when they are ready for collection. My mother and grandmother were great library users but it is only in recent years that I have gone back to borrowing books and I now realise what a fantastic resource we have. Library budgets are being cut however, all over the country.

So let's make a real effort to get borrower numbers up before it is too late and help save then planet into the bargain.

Love Mother x



Bravo Mum! I agree with this, and although I admit that there is something magical about opening a brand new crisp book, the library does have the answer for avid readers trying to save a bob or two. I get all my non fiction books from the library, and spend many a lunch hour browsing the shelves. I have learnt how to knit, make curtains, candles, quilts, upholstery, topiary and countless other things from books borrowed from the library. Get yourself down there!

1 comment:

OboeJane said...

I just ran up a £28 fine at the library. Hopefully that means I'm doing my bit to shore up their purchasing budget