Tuesday 26 February 2008

Felafel

After my first post I was asked to put up some more recipes using pulses. Here's a great one - home made felafel. I made this for a large group of people, fried them up before they came then kept them warm in the oven. They went down a treat, despite being really odd shapes because I'm a rubbish fryer.

Actually it's because I have a phobia of deep-fat frying (yes, I shallow fry my felafel). I've honestly never done it in my life. It's directly related to learning how to put a chip pan fire out in Guides. I had nightmares for ages and to this day have to actively not think about it.

Right, if you don't have similar ailment, here's a brilliant video showing you how to fry neat little balls.

However I was appauled to see her using packet mixture! Appauled and surprised, because I think her little videos are really good.

So here's a recipe for making your own mixture. I love this kind of cooking. It smells wonderful as it all combine and mushes together. My mouth is watering...

Felafel

1 tin chick peas*, rinsed qnd drained
6 spring onions
1 egg
grated zest and juice of half a lemon
1 clove of garlic
a handful of fresh coriander (about 2 tbsp if it were chopped)
1 tbsp tahini
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch cayenne pepper (or chilli I guess for a bit of kick)
salt and pepper
oil for frying
enough flour/alternative to make it the right consistency (my recipe says '30g fresh white bread' but the first time I made this it had to be gluten free so I improvised)

fresh coriander to garnish

For the sauce

4 tbsp plain yogurt
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp tahini**

Whiz it all up in a blender, leave to sit in the fridge for half an hour and then fry. Serve in pitta bread with sauce. I've given you quantities for the sauce, but it isn't an exact science and you might want to leave out the yogurt to make it vegan (funny people, those...).


(My silly sausage sister said I should put up a picture of a fire in a chip pan. What a truly horrid idea. Any readers that are interested can google chip pan fires for themselves.)

* apparantly they're called garbanzo beans in the states
** sesame seed paste

4 comments:

Tony Ruscoe said...

These sound great. I'll definitely be trying them. Anything made with chickpeas is brilliant as far as I'm concerned.

Did you see Jamie Oliver make those pea-based falafel-like things on Jamie At Home the other night?

The Author said...

If you buy a deep fat fryer they have a thermostat so they can't set on fire. Honestly for the occasional treat there is nothing more sublime than home made chips. (preferably with fried eggs, white bread and butter and a nice mug of tea. Serious comfort food!!!! ) Takes me right back to my childhood. When my friends come round they ask me to make them egg and chips!!!!

Rach said...

I wonder if your phobia is also linked to concern's about Gran's deep fat frier? I never knew those modern enclosed thermostatically regulated friers existed until a few years ago.

I remember Gran's frier - an open saucepan of boiling bubbling oil with a wire mesh cage you put the chips in. Lowering the cage into the saucepan was a task that should have come with a health warning.

Mind you, I wholeheartedly agree with Tracey about egg and chips. Gran made this for us quite alot, probably because Mum disapproved.

Tony Ruscoe said...

I finally got around to making these! Unfortunately, we don't have a blender, so I just mashed everything up with a fork. (I also have to confess to buying tzatziki and taramosalata, so I didn't make the sauce... sorry!)

Anyway, here are my pictures...

1. The mixture.
2. Before refrigeration.
3. Falafel with a Greek salad, tzatziki, taramosalata and pitta bread!
4. And here's a close-up!

Very nice, thanks!